We know habit change isn’t easy, and we are here to support you in the process. Small changes can lead to big changes, so that’s where we suggest you start. Make a commitment to adding a minimum of 1 minute of kindness to your day. Who doesn’t have 1 minute to try to make their life and the lives of those around them better?
Start by placing two post it notes on the mirror where you brush your teeth. If you travel a lot, tape the note to your toothpaste. One note should say, “Bekindr today.” The next note should say, “What did I do to Bekindr today?”
It’s just that simple.
By focusing on kindness twice daily, you will find it easier and easier to incorporate kindness into your life. When you do, you will feel happier and more contracted to those around you. Try it and let us know. We are eager to hear your stories!
You can tell us about your kind acts here, and we’ll be posting submissions on the website and our social media channels!
We have created a list of kind behaviors to get you started. Please add to it or subtract so it works for you. Print it and refer back to it often. Keep it on your cell phone. Share with friends and family.
Ways to Bekindr
- Make sure your self talk is positive.
- Set your alarm later and get enough sleep.
- Get a healthy snack.
- Give yourself a digital detox.
- Book a massage.
- Take a warm bath.
- Meditate or do deep breathing.
- Listen to a relaxation tape.
- Schedule a doctor or dentist visit.
- Get your hair trimmed.
- Spend ten extra minutes getting dressed so you look your best.
- Do the chore or errand you have been putting off. You will feel better after.
- Skip the drink. Alcohol requires our liver to work overtime, so make sure you give it a rest.
- Avoid electronic devices within 1-2 hours of bedtime.
- Skip reading or watching any news for one day.
- Drink more water.
- Make sure you get up every 45 minutes.
- Take a walk
- Spend time in nature.
- Make time to work out.
- Drink a cup of tea.
- Read an inspiring book.
- Make time to laugh.
- Listen to music.
- Sign up to an app or website that sends you inspirational or funny messages daily.
- Learn something new.
- Give yourself a compliment.
To loved ones and friends:
- Make eye contact.
- Call instead of texting.
- Hold someone’s hand.
- Listen attentively.
- Send a handwritten note.
- Put your phone away when speaking to someone.
- Visit a friend.
- Say I love you.
- Help someone with a chore.
- Write something nice to someone on social media.
- Offer to help a friend who is moving or under stress.
- Cook for someone.
- Bring food to work to share.
- Reach out to a friend you haven’t spoken to.
- Give someone flowers.
- Share inspirational quotes and humor.
- Bring in your neighbor’s trash can.
- Buy someone coffee or lunch.
- Frame a picture of someone and send it to them.
- Bring someone breakfast in bed.
- Call someone and say I love you.
- Give someone a compliment.
- Hand something down to someone.
- Give someone a gift.
- Donate time or money to a charity that is important to a friend/loved one.
- Make sure you say please and thank you.
- Let someone go in front of you in traffic or in a line.
- Hold open a door.
- Help someone carry something.
- Ask the cashier or waiter how their day is going.
- Pay for someone behind you in line at a coffee shop.
- Give food to someone who is homeless.
- Over tip.
- Give someone a compliment.
- Write a thank you note to your firemen or policemen.
- Donate time or money to a charity.
- Give your pet some extra attention.
- Adopt a pet.
- Pay the pet adoption fee for someone else to adopt an animal from a shelter.
- Buy humanely raised products.
- Eat vegetarian.
- Take your pet to the vet.
- Send money to organizations that support animals.
To the environment:
- Turn your lights off
- Avoid plastic!
- Raise the AC or lower heat.
- Pick up trash.
- Bike (with a helmet!) or walk instead of driving.
- Take an Uber/Lyft share.
- Use public transportation.
- Eat leftovers and avoid food waste.
- Carry your own mug to coffee house. Most will give you a discount.
- Buy locally grown food.
- Plant a garden.
- Bring your own bag to the store..
- Choose USED when buying books, clothes and other items.
- Buy a BPA free bottle for water and refill often.
- Avoid paper when possible.